Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Family Dinners and Movie Nights

"I'm really glad you're here," she said. This wasn't the first or even second time she'd said it. And yet, each time felt just as sincere as the first.

"Me too," I smiled. 

As I unpacked, she sat on my bed watching "Mean Girls," her movie of choice. She thumbed through my old photos as she watched while laughing out loud at scenes on the TV screen. 

Blacks, browns, blues, now reds, now yellows, greens. My clothes always hung in order of color in my closet, it makes choosing an outfit easier. I had unpacked these same clothes many times over the years. My dresser, old, brown, and beaten from various moves, held my belongings just as comfortably as it did 10 years ago when it was purchased.

But this time, unpacking was different.

My clothes fit in the closet, my photos hung in similar positions on the walls and my bathroom carried all my toiletries. This new home wasn't going to be like any I had lived in before. Nothing about this place would be just another living situation.

"Mind if I lay down?" she asked.

"No of course not, get comfortable"

After the movie, when all lights were out at the house, and the women were in bed, I began to realize what an exciting experience this would be. This home that will be my dwelling place for the next few months is home to women who had been previously sexually exploited. Their lives had been about dark streets, hours of men looking for pleasure, and verbal and physical abuses of pimps. I will never fully grasp any of this. 

But movie nights, ice cream dates, Nintendo contests, these things I can relate with. Late night chats and family dinners, these are my new reality. When I wake up in the mornings, I'm no longer only responsible for myself. I am a house mom, I am there to be an encouragement to the women, to be a disciplinary figure, and to be a friend. We are going through life together and learning from each other.

The next morning, I headed to work and returned home late. I had missed dinner and the women had already left for their AA meeting. After showering, I continued to unpack and organize my room. Hearing steps and voices come through the front door I soon realized the women were back. It didn't take long before I heard her familiar voice.

"Where's Nicolle? Is she in her room?"

A knock on my door followed.

"Come in!" I exclaimed.

This same girl from the night before was eager to see me and chat about our days. She had missed me. I felt wanted. We spoke of the long day and headed to the den to watch a new movie. 

I am at the GenerateHope house to share love for these women. And yet, in the few days I've spent there, I have been shown more love by this woman than I could have expected. I'm nervous about what my role at the house will look like, the times when things won't be as easy. Things will get messy. Arguments will ensue.  But what good is life if you choose to hide behind fear and never step out and experience new things?

I am grateful for this new time in my life and can't wait to see how I will be challenged and changed, even in this short time.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post Monicles, great writing. Looking forward to hearing more about your time in the GenerateHope house.

    ReplyDelete