Monday, September 26, 2011

We Jump, With No Fear

It seems like lately; everywhere I go I meet people working in non-profit sectors and within social justice ministries. But not just volunteers, they are the creators and founders. They are the people working to create better lives for others. Many are young, intelligent people who could most likely be making much more in the corporate or business world.

Maybe this move towards fixing the injustices in the world has come from our being children of the recession. Maybe it is because many of us have been affected by the job market, the loss of a house, or have seen family members struggling to make it from paycheck to paycheck. I see my generation as one that understands hard work. We understand the value of a dollar and the irrationality of lavish spending. While I am not naïve enough to believe this is true for all people, I do think there are many of us whose lives do reflect this way of thinking. I believe there was a shift in thinking that began when our economy began to fall.

Unlike our parent’s generation, we are not being tied down to mortgages because, instead of buying houses, we buy plane tickets. We are travelers. We want to see the world, understand other cultures. We open our eyes. We jump, with no fear, into the unknown. I believe we are strong, we are passionate and we are devoted to taking part in something bigger than ourselves.


We are dreamers who seek to enrich the lives of others because our hearts scream at us to make a difference. Somewhere in between the September 11 attacks and The War on Terror, we realized that above all, love must exist in our lives. Not only love for ourselves but for others. We must take care of each other.

And with that comes responsibility. But it’s not easy. Those of us who have volunteered with a non-profit or fought for a cause know that it takes a lot of work. There are long hours, days of regretting the high-paying jobs you gave up, tedious tasks of inputting data for the organizations and nights you wish you could spend your evening at home watching TV rather than editing your third draft of a grant application. Yet, we devote the time because we understand that real lasting change doesn’t come easily or quickly.

Recently, my friends began an organization called Live a Life of Love. They are a San Diego based non-profit apparel company that donates 100% of its profits to charity. They believe in encouraging the world to live a life compelled and fundamentally governed by love. They chose GenerateHope as one of their three beneficiaries.  I feel blessed to have the support of my friends and encouraged to support them in return. It is a reminder that we all work together as one to seek justice in this world.

We are children of the recession. We are movers and shakers. We are a community of world changers.

I’m sure there are those who may disagree with all of this. You have purchased a home in the past decade, you are happily settled down and enjoy the job you have. This is just as exciting to me because we each have our own stories to tell. You are dedicated to your families and jobs and learning how to help out your communities. And maybe one day that will be me. But for now, I won’t plant my feet until I have seen the world and fought for justice in every way that I can. This is my story.

How do we change the world? By one act at a time. Through one person inspiring another person. Through ideas that lead to actions. Through saying yes to freedom and no to fear. By loving fully.

I am inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment