Thursday, June 17, 2010

Guest Post - "Hallo" from South Africa

So my friend is doing an internship in South Africa over the summer. He has been updating us via e-mail on his time there. I had to share this latest one because of how much joy it brought me. I read it a few times and it made me laugh each time. Enjoy!

Best Declaration by the South African Government:


Fridays for the last six months have officially been declared "Jersey Friday." It is my dream come true. I get to wear a sports jersey to work and actually keep my job -- it's amazing. Jersey Friday seriously laughs at Jeans Friday. I can't decide if this makes me want to live in South Africa the rest of my life or become the President, but either way it is a great thing.

Most Popular World Cup Song:

"Flags Waving.
" Do they play the Coke commercial in the U.S. with this song? This song is awesome and makes me want to be good at life.

Scariest Moment in Cape Town:

It was a cold dark night outside the Cape Town train station ... some guy approaches me with a handshake, three teeth and the smell of an internet cafe. I could sense that this was not a great situation. He stats to give me his story about his two children (he looks 17) and his recent bad luck, but how he is changing for the better. I give him the change in my pocket. He explains to me that this not enough and that he really needs a note (a dolla) and that he has knifed people before for their wallets, but he would prefer not to do it that was as he alludes to this knife that he has on him. A king gesture, I thought. I try to deny him 4 or 5 times because there is a decent amount of people around. He pleads with me and gives me one last warning "this is the last time I am going to ask you." I wasn't sure if he was implying that he would walk away or use the aforementioned knife, but judging by the proximity of his face to mine and the stench on his breath I decided to play it safe. I went into a store and had him wait outside and got him a note and some bread for his kids. I am only out about $3 U.S. dollars (mom and dad, can you please send $3?), but would have to be the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. First scariest moment was when a rat crawled out of a garbage can as I was throwing the trash out. Second scariest was this video sent to me by Stephen Donnelly.

Reason I will need to visit a chiropractor when I get back:

My new strategy of not getting called on in class is the ducking method. I learned it from my roommate who has escaped pretty safely from being called on. He simply just ducks behind his computer screen and types away. The only difference is that he has a a17" computer with a monstrous battery and he is short. It was a strategic buy on his part. I have 15" Mac (!Mark Cruise - this is a reference to a laptop computer machine). Thus, the duck method has been helpful for me not getting punked by my professor again, but has been disastrous on my back.

Most widely used incorrect pluralization by South Africans:

"Mornings." You may know that incorrect pluralizataion/lack of pluralization is my ultimate pet peeve. (Ex: Best Buys, Barnes & Nobles, Orlando Magics, Starbuck, How are you doings, Nebraskas, Losts, Mitchell Gerrard's friends, etc...). Anyway, the South African people seem to think that there are two mornings, are afraid that they won't see you the next morning or think that the morning possesses something that goes without saying. Needless to say it makes me grumpier than I usually am in the morning(s).

Pounds gained thus far:

5-10. Sorry Esther.

Most generic roommate names Award:

Room 104 (my room). My roommates names are Nick, John, and Matt. Everyone thinks that Eric is hard to say because of my roommates.


I'll be at the England v. Algeria game tomorrow, so look for the guy in the Gerrard jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment